Saturday, October 31, 2009

Help! Questions about You Tube...

Back in May, my algebra class humored me with a discussion about what made our class work as well as it did. One student did a video of the discussion. She uploaded that onto YouTube and then deleted it from her camera. YouTube rejected it because it was too long. Is there any way I can recover that? I had assumed not, but I see one scene from it on the list of videos, along with the notice that it was rejected.

Also, can I moderate or prevent comments, or delete them? My students were brave enough to get videod while explaining math problems, and now someone has made a nasty comment.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah. I didn't bookmark them because I don't think they're worth pointing to.

    But the class discussion was something I really wanted to have. I was hoping that playing parts of it to my next algebra class might get us over some of the rough spots at the beginning.

    So many of the students come in feeling scared and angry. ("Why do I have to take this class?!") I want to let them know I empathize, but I don't want that anger to get in the way. It often does.

    Hearing from other students that the class can be a positive experience, and can even be transformative - that might have made a huge difference. But the video is gone, I'm afraid...

    Seeing that one scene from it on the list in my SuesMath account at YouTube got me hopeful for a moment, but I think I just have to accept that it's gone.

    It was 16 minutes, and I would have learned how to edit video, so I could take out a few things. There was too much about "Sue is great". What I wanted was students saying how their opinions and attitudes about math changed, how the class worked together as a community. That really came out well in the video...

    Technology. It can offer us so much, and it can let us down so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately I don't think rejected videos are in any away available for download from Youtube.

    Do you have a way to get in touch with the same students? Maybe you can invite them to a get together, offer food to entice them, and re-interview them with your own camera.

    The owner of an uploaded video can delete comments, disallow comments, and block particular users from commenting.

    ReplyDelete

 
Math Blog Directory