Monday, August 2, 2010

On Creativity in Teaching

From Eugene Peterson:
Creativity is difficult. When you are being creative, you’re living by faith. You don’t know what’s next because the created, by definition, is what’s never been before. So you’re living at the edge of something in which you’re not very confident. You might fail: in fact, you almost certainly will fail a good part of the time. All the creative [people] I know throw away most of the stuff they do.
Can creative teachers use this thought?




[Hat tip to John Cook, at The Endeavor.]


[I'm at camp with my son this week, and thought I'd experiment with scheduling a post or two. I've set this one to come out on Monday.]

3 comments:

  1. Exactly what I needed to hear today! Teaching a new class tomorrow and hoping it's the *right* creative! ;)

    Thanks for the words to ponder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We must be on the same wavelength! I wrote about Peterson this week, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of E. Peterson. Thanks for the link to the book from which the quote comes. (It's also available in Kindle format! Woo hoo!)

    The quote absolutely applies to teaching. The fear of failure when venturing out into the unknown is very real.

    ReplyDelete

 
Math Blog Directory