Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Quote on Mathematical Beauty

Where things get really interesting is when unexpected bridges emerge between parts of the mathematical world that were remote from each other in the mental picture that had been developed by previous generation of mathematicians.  When this happens, one gets the feeling that a sudden wind has blown away the fog that was hiding parts of a beautiful landscape.
- Alain Connes in The Princeton Companion to Mathematics




[Found at Mathematics Rising, which was linked to at Math-Frolic.]

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sue. This isn't spam or anything. I couldn't find an email address on here so I thought I'd just comment. I have co-authored a new book on the teaching of mathematics called Teaching Numeracy: 9 Critical Habits to Ignite Mathematical Thinking. In a "grass roots" effort, I'm trying to get the word out. It's being published by Corwin Press. If you happen to check it out, let me know what you think. Thanks and take care.
    P.S. I'll be having a contest over on my blog at the end of March where I'm giving away free signed copies.

    ReplyDelete

 
Math Blog Directory