For only $850, you get room and board... (The food is amazingly good for such a huge operation - not quite up to my personal organic, local, sustainable standards, but really yummy, with an incredible variety of choices.) ... and then you get to play with math all day. My friend, Ellen H, and I used to call it the math spa. (We went swimming every morning before breakfast.)
If you come, you'll also get to work with Tatiana Shubin and Anand Patel, who both have some serious math circle experience.
The first year I was amazed that I could do math all day long and never get tired of it. There's lots of freedom to explore in whatever way works best for you.
Arrive: Sunday, July 8 (or as early as you can on Monday, July 9). Notre Dame is in South Bend, Indiana, 2 hours from Chicago.
Five days of math circle mania:
- we participate in math circles in the mornings,
- we run one math circle for kids late one afternoon, and watch our colleagues try it out on the other afternoons,
- we discuss the ins and outs of math circles and other fun ways of doing math in the early afternoons,
- we play with Amanda's collection of math toys and browse her collection of math books, whenever we want,
- we plot, plan, and socialize in between all that.
Total cost: $850
Email kaplan at math.harvard.edu if you're interested in joining us.
Next post: Rodi Steinig, a Math Circle Institute success story. She runs the math circle at the Talking Stick Learning Center, and blogs about it here.