Monday, September 10, 2012

Time Out (We Interrupt This Blog for a Public Service Announcement)

The last time I did this was over 2 years ago, when I recommended Dropbox as a way to do backups and to get files between different computers. I am still loving Dropbox.

I've been getting some physical therapy lately because I get too many headaches, and my neck is often tight. My physical therapist asked lots of questions about my computer habits: Where do I sit, how do I type, do I take breaks? Nope, I told him, I don't take breaks, mainly because I forget to. When I'm writing or powering through my google reader, I forget about anything else.

But as we talked I remembered that Maria Andersen had recommended some software that would make you stop working. She recommended WorkRave, free for the PC (not available for the Mac). I tried finding something for the Mac, and didn't see anything good. I asked on her blog, and Maria suggested Time Out. I've been using it for over a month, and I love it. It's freeware, but of course they want donations. (I've paid them $10.)

Every 15 minutes, Time Out comes on top of what I'm doing, and tells me it's time for a 15 second 'micro-break'. Every hour, it has me take a 1 minute break (which I can skip). All the times can be changed, and there are other settings you can fiddle with. Whenever I'm on Skype, I have to tell it to 'pause breaks', which takes 3 quick clicks.

If you work intensely on the computer, and need to take more breaks, Time Out works great.




And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming....

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I didn't even know there was something like this available. I know several people that NEED to use this, so thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Comments with links unrelated to the topic at hand will not be accepted. (I'm moderating comments because some spammers made it past the word verification.)

 
Math Blog Directory