Sunday, April 19, 2020

Corona Post #2: Teaching Online

[#2 because my previous post in March on my online math circle was due to people needing to take their math circles online when the shelter-in-place orders were just starting.]

I've been teaching online for 4 weeks now, two before our spring break and two after. At first I was just trying to learn how to manage teaching on zoom. I bought a whiteboard that's still sitting on two chairs in my living room, and I sit in a tiny chair while I write on it. Not ideal, but I get to see my students, and I feel like I'm still working with them where they are, not just lecturing.

(Some day I'll finally install it on my living room wall. I procrastinate with tasks like that. I'm not sure why it feels intimidating...)













A few weeks ago I made a google slides presentation for my Discrete Math course to explain a way of counting possibilities called Stars & Bars. I had fun doing it. You're welcome to modify it and use it in your teaching.








Just now I made another. This one is for Calculus II, on Taylor & Maclaurin Series (really just a Maclaurin series). I was motivated by knowing that there would be too much writing for my little whiteboard. This presentation has a handout to go with it.








I'm also teaching Calculus I. I haven't made any cool new materials for that course yet. But I will...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Math Blog Directory