Thursday, May 6, 2010

Link Love: Aunty Math

I was exploring Tiff's old Math Monday posts, and came across her post on using Delicious. That led me to Aunty Math (aka Aunt Mathilda Mathews), who shares a bunch of cute little stories with a math challenge in each one.

James Tanton would like this quilt story, though for him the puzzles came packaged in a pressed tin ceiling*. And this camping trip story will be perfect to take to my son's school, since they just got back from a camping trip. The problem solving strategies are also done nicely.

If I'm Math Mama, does that make Aunty Math my sister?  ;^)

Let me know what you think of it.




___
* James tells this story in his introduction to Thinking Mathematics, Volume One:
My career as a mathematician began at age ten. I didn't realize this at the time, of course, but in retrospect it is clear to me that my journey into the rich world of mathematical play - and I use the word play with serious intent - was opened to me thanks to a pressed-tin ceiling in an old Victorian-style house.

I grew up in Adelaide, Australia, in a house built in the early 1900s. The ceiling of each room had its own geometric design and each night in my bedroom I fell asleep staring at a 5x5 grid of squares above me, lined with vines and flowers.

I counted squares and rectangles in the design. I traced paths through its cells and along its edges. I tried to fit non-square shapes onto the vertices of the design. In short, I played a myriad of self-invented games and puzzles on that grid of squares as I fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Math Blog Directory