Friday, May 1, 2009

The Konigsberg Bridges and 'Borrowing'

I'm planning to play with this problem together with some students today, and with my math salon tomorrow. Before starting to think about that, I was doing my usual early morning wandering through the blogosphere, and most amazingly landed on a post about this very same problem at 360. I'll get to 'borrow' the work Xi did putting together that post.

I'll also be 'borrowing' some great ideas I heard over 20 years ago in a math talk given by John H. Hodges. (I think it was at the NCTM conference in '81 or '82, and I think he was at UC Denver.) He used the Bridges problem to illustrate the steps he laid out in his 5 Major Steps in Mathematical Creation. I'd love to contact him to get his permission to post his notes (I have them on ditto!) here, but so far I haven't managed to find him.

Anyone have any favorite materials on this you'd like to point me to? I wouldn't mind borrowing a bit more... ;>

1 comment:

  1. There's a great children's book I could have used, but didn't have at home: Maps, Tracks, and the Bridges of Konigsberg: A Book About Networks (Young Math Books) by Michael Holt and Wendy Watson.

    The salon went ok, but I felt like I was distracted...

    ReplyDelete

 
Math Blog Directory