Saturday, July 21, 2012

San Diego in January, Joint Mathematics Meetings

Joint because it's the MAA (Mathematical Association of America) and the AMS (American Mathematical Society). Their annual meeting is huge. I went a few years back when it was right next door in SF. I went to lots of pedagogical talks, and to all the math circle events. I went with friends and had a blast.

It's hard to travel in January, but I'm going to do it this time. I lived in San Diego for a year, and I can attest that it's a beautiful city. The meetings are Wednesday, January 9 to Saturday, January 12.

I've been invited to help host the poetry session that will happen (most likely) on Friday evening. I hope we can make that a delightful experience. I'll also be attending every math circle event I possibly can. And if all goes well I may even be trying to sell a certain book.

I would love to meet some of my online friends there. I just spoke with a blogger I've admired for a long time. He wasn't planning to come, but said I'd gotten him to think twice. So I'm writing this post to get more of you to think twice. Let's meet up in San Diego in January. Who's coming?


6 comments:

  1. Since I live in SD, I guess I'll be there, but perhaps not attending. I would be interested in meeting up, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like that Hao. I'm also hoping to meet Julie Brennan, host of Living Math Forum. I doubt she'll be at the meetings. maybe we can do dinner on Wednesday or Thursday evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll be there. Would love a big mathblogger meetup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to meeting you, Peter.

    I wonder when we should schedule our mathblogger meetup. If you've been to a lot of the Joint Meetings, maybe you can propose a good time for it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, very tempting as there's nothing on my calendar now. But I can only be down there Fri evening and Sat. I'm committed to 8 days of PD already this school year. (This is 7 days more than I normally take!) I can make it to your poetry session!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so looking forward to actually meeting you!

    ReplyDelete

 
Math Blog Directory