Saturday, September 29, 2012

Kindle Book: Let's Play Math!, by Denise Gaskins

I love Denise's blog, and now I'm loving her book. She wants people to understand that this is a beta version, which means that it will be even better when her official first edition comes out. She hopes to have it out in print next year.

But if you don't mind reading electronic books, it's only $3.99 for the Kindle version now. (You don't need a Kindle; you can read these online or on your computer.) Once she gets it perfected, I'm sure the price will go up.

Here's a peek at part of her chapter on home-made manipulatives:
Or put the number line at a slant, like a hill on which you can run up and down. In many applications of math and physics, “zero” is an arbitrary location, based on whatever makes our problem easy to solve.
In this case, you might invent a peasant who lives in a small hut at 0, partway up the hill, and dreams of becoming a knight. At the top of the hill is a castle, and at the bottom there is a cave where a terrible dragon lives. Take turns making up story problem adventures.
I don't know when I'll have time to savor the rest of this book, but I'm definitely looking forward to it. It'll be even nicer to have the print copy in my hands one day. I'll be waiting...

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the mention, Sue! If your readers are interested in reading an excerpt, this blog post is taken from the book.

    I'm eagerly waiting to see your book, too. I think you'll beat me into print. Want to race?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee hee. Sure. It's a race to the finish line! ;^)

    (Yesterday I sent Maria a list of the chapters I'm all done with. I hope to update that list this weekend. Don't know when I'll be all done, though.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. JohnPeterJohn, I will leave this one comment, even though I don't think I believe it.

    It will give me a chance to reply to you, even if you don't see the reply.

    I have had to delete about 10 comments from you. What you are desperate for is getting people to click that link. Leaving comments scattered all over the blogosphere (yes, I've seen your comments on numerous other blog), without really putting any substance into your comment, is very rude. I hope you don't get rewarded with lots of clicks from these inappropriate comments.

    I tried to email you, but of course you do not make your email known. You wouldn't want strangers to email you - just like none of us want your comments cluttering up our blogs.

    If you have something valuable to share, make yourself known as a real person, and explain why you created your site. Otherwise, you're just a spammer and a nuisance.

    ReplyDelete

 
Math Blog Directory