Saturday, September 4, 2010

Later Today: Math Circle Online - Please join us!

Please join me for  Math Circles: Low Tech, High Engagement - Good for Classroom Use?  at 2pm Eastern time / 11am Pacific time, today.

I'll conduct a math circle for the first part of the session. (If you haven't seen the problem before, you get to participate. If you have seen it before, you get to watch a math circle in action.) Then I'll host a discussion about how it went, how it might go if done in a class, and what topics in the curriculum might lend themselves to math circle format. We may also want to discuss what other low-tech ideas folks have, and how we can deeply engage students through both low and high tech methods.


webinar_buttons.png

To join:
  • Follow this link: http://tinyurl.com/math20event
  • Click "OK" and "Accept" several times as your browser installs the software. When you see Elluminate Session Log-In, enter your name and click the "Login" button
  • You will find yourself in a virtual room. An organizer will be there to greet you, starting about half an hour before the event.

Hope to see you there!

6 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry! At work (where I will shortly be) I am not authorized to install software.

    (need to buy something portable. need to buy something portable. need to buy something portable)

    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, here is more on the pattern issue I brought up during your event. Thank you so much for organizing it! So thought-provoking!

    http://www.naturalmath.com/blog/patterncraft-and-beyond/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I missed it! I just found out about it now (Sunday)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will there be a recording of this event for those that missed it. I wish I could have attended.

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  5. The recording is up: http://mathfuture.wikispaces.com/Math+Circles+Low-Tech+High+Engagement

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing yesterday. It was very insightful. I am works to not give my students answer but have them figure out more. I am still working on which concepts are better to explore and which are better just to tell. It is also even more complex when the curriculum is tied to a high stakes test.

    ReplyDelete

 
Math Blog Directory