Friday, September 10, 2010

Richmond Math Salon: Next Week Saturday

If you live close to Richmond, California, please join us for the next salon. On Saturday, September 18, from 2 to 5pm, we'll play with:

Games: Blokus, Connect Four, Quarto, Set, Blink!, and lots more, including my new favorite, Katamino. I’d also like to introduce two card games I’m tweaking: Make Zero and Red and Black TripleMatch.

Puzzles: Rush Hour, Tangrams, Rubik’s cube, puzzles from Math Without Words, … (Katamino is a puzzle, too!)

Polydrons are a great way to build three-dimensional shapes like pyramids, cubes, prisms, Platonic solids, … I’m also hoping my new pentomino sets will have arrived.

Books: My huge library of fun math books is available to peruse. And as folks who’ve come before know, I’ll give you my reviews of many of these books.

It's great fun, and I'd love to meet folks who've heard about it through my blog.  For more information, email me at suevanhattum on hotmail.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sue,

    Have you run across the game Pentago? It's all the rage in my department at the moment. It's fun and full of sneakiness. Let me know what you think of it if you have the chance to play. There are good applets online, and the physical game is really nice--it has a good mechanism.

    Justin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have it, but haven't played it in a while. My son was too young the last time it was out. (And he likes games that give him a better chance of beating me.) Maybe I can take it to work, and get people to play me there.

    Thanks for pointing me to the pentago online. I'll play with it later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (And I'll pull it out this Saturday, to see if anyone's interested.)

    ReplyDelete

 
Math Blog Directory