Saturday, August 1, 2009

Physics, Hangmath, and Math Trails

Just a few cool links, really, before I run off for a week at family camp, with no internet.

Brent, at The Math Less Travelled, wrote a great review of The Mathematical Mechanic, by Mark Levi. If I weren't on a budget, I'd buy it right now, after reading this. (I see that UC Berkeley's library doesn't have it yet, either. Bummer.)

In my morning explorations today I also rediscovered the blog of the Albany Area Math Circle, which looks like it's full of intriguing posts. First I found Hangmath, which looks like a very fun game - I'll look forward to trying it with students in September. And then, in the next post down, she described something I heard about earlier this summer, and have been meaning to explore further.

Math Trails, also known as Math Walks
While I was attending the Math Circle Institute, Amanda Serenevy gave us a leaflet about a project she'd developed for her Riverbend Community Math Center, about taking a math walk in South Bend. I can't find it now, but it looked intriguing and is another activity I'd like to try out in September. So I was excited to see Mary O'Keefe's post on Math Walks.

Most math walks involve arriving at various destinations and solving some puzzle (or math problem) presented by what you see at the location. O'Keefe's is more focused on the history of her campus, and a local mathematician. Googling 'math walks' found me this post on the Futures Channel, about Ron Lancaster's work. I noticed that he uses the term math trail, so started searching on that. Here's a site I'll come back to when I'm ready to set up my own math trail.

I also found this on Wikipedia, about Kay Tolliver, who's won a Presidential Award for her teaching. She started the National Math Trail project, where students and teachers can post information about math trails they've developed.

Anyone find any exciting math trails near them, or have any experience creating or using one?

4 comments:

  1. I wonder if the Albany Math Circle would mind if I make an online version of Hangmath. Such a game could markedly increase my street cred ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm out the door to camp in a minute, but, if you want, next week I can get you Mary O'Keefe's email, if it's not on her site, so you can ask her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey -- great blog! I just wanted to leave a note and say Hi -- I'm one of the two moms behind First Time Second Time and a math prof at Lesley U. Always interested in talking to folks about math and teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Thanks for dropping by.

    I saw the names Gail and Lyn at your blog, and your identity shows up as Angela V-C here. I'm wondering what name I should use... :^) I see some other blogs mentioned when I click on your name here. I'm looking forward to checking those out.

    Blogging rocks!

    ReplyDelete

 
Math Blog Directory